After last week’s abysmal music showing – I could only find three songs worthy of Top 5 contention and their release dates were either limited/special (“Beautiful” by Ben Rector) or they were featured on iTunes after they were released (“Burn” by Ellie Goulding and “Free” by Rudimental f. Emeli Sande) … but never fear, Radio Bobby is back with a BANG!
This week, two pop mega-stars unveiled new singles and some sleepers came in to pleasantly deliver surprises! Here is your New Music Top 5:
1. “Applause” by Lady GaGa (pop) – Lady GaGa declared a “Pop Emergency” after high and low quality leaks of her song became available all over the internet a week before the “Applause” release date. In a mad dash, GaGa released “Applause” to radio stations and iTunes. I contested she knew August 12 was my birthday – so she released it for me! Ha. Either way, the up-tempo track combines the vocal styling found frequently on her Born This Way album and pairs it with the electronic/dance backgrounds found on her debut album The Fame. Here’s GaGa, back for the win.
2. “We Own the Night” by The Wanted (pop) – a nice up-tempo track with typically nice vocals from The Wanted!
3. “The River” by The Darcys (alternative) – there’s an ambiance about this song that I’m drawn to. It’s a spoken, smoky lyric with a panic-inducing, percussive backdrop. Quite good.
4. “Roar” by Katy Perry (pop) – Perry looks like she’ll continue to face criticism for the song’s similarity to Sara Bareilles’ “Brave”, released about a month prior. That said, fans of “Brave” should have no problem liking “Roar.” There’s enough room is music for both, yeah?
5. “Don’t You Want It” by The White Buffalo (singer/songwriter)
…and the featured music video is: