Fresh off the MTV VMAs this past Sunday, people should have expected a whole lot of new music, right? – wrong. A few big name artists dropped new singles – namely Eminem, Avril Lavigne, Dierks Bentley, Jason Derulo and Miley Cyrus, who will probably benefit from the buzz she generated for herself on Sunday’s show. Here are this week’s Radio Bobby Top 5:
1. “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus (pop) – I love everything about this electro-ballad, that’s what I’ll call it. The lyrics, phrasing, instrumental and the emotion shining through. Check it out – Miley, consider yourself redeemed. Grade: A
2. “Rock ‘n Roll” by Avril Lavigne (pop) – Avril’s back with what I’m suspecting will be her latest catchy tune you’ll find hard to erase from your head. Wait for it, you’ll see – in the process, you’ll probably learn to really like it. Grade: A
3. “Berzerk” by Eminem (rap/hip-hop) – It’s been said, “Shady’s back.” I was really into this new song – until the “bom-chick-a-wow-wow” part – it was so obnoxious, and for me, it took the song down just a tad. Coulda been No. 1 Shady, coulda been no. 1. I’m a fan – just no more cheap lyrics please – otherwise this song’s A-game Eminem. Grade: A-
4. “Divine Light” by The Deer Tracks (alternative) – A nice catchy song that may make you move around a little in the dark. Feels very … sultry and eerie – who’d have thunk that’d ever be a good combo – I guess The Deer Tracks did. It’s quite nice. Grade: A-
5. “Free Tonight” by Divided By Friday (alternative rock) – Divided By Friday sounds a bit like Panic at the Disco – but their newest single is kind of like a feel-good freedom anthem. Grade: B+
Dierks Bentley put out a generic country song “I Hold On” – which falls shy of the Top 5, alongside Jason Derulo’s newest song “Marry Me”, which is sure to become, you guessed it, a proposal anthem. So many people are about to be proposed to with Derulo’s song – and it’ll probably get the GLEE treatment – but that doesn’t mean it’s Top 5 worthy – just worth a mention.