Where is 2013 going? To the music – in a neck-and-neck battle between Pop and Country. This year has been great, and the last few weeks have proven that this is going to be a milestone year for the music industry – this week is no exception! Topping the chart? One of music’s greatest and most recognizable female voices! Call it a comeback! Here are this week’s Top 5 New Music Releases:
1. “Loved Me Back to Life” by Céline Dion [tie] (pop) She’s back! Céline Dion is back! Her new single “Love Me Back to Life” reminds me very much of her 1993 album The Colour of My Love in that it’s a lively, young, up-tempo sound we’re not used to from the usual power ballad singer! To deepen that image, Dion released a series of vivacious, “free” living-type photographs – including this song’s cover art. One of her last great up-tempo tracks was “That’s the Way It Is” from over a decade ago. Welcome back Céline! I think we may have a hit on our hands.
1. “Long Night Moon” by Reckless Kelly [tie] (country) You would think an icon like Céline would stand alone atop the mountain the week she releases a new single – I thought so too, then I heard Reckless Kelly’s “Long Night Moon.” In a year that country music keeps surprising me – this (along with Chuck Wicks’ song “Fix Me”) is one of the best country songs I’ve ever heard. It’s instrumental heavy, but listen to it underneath the stars on a cool summer night and you’ll understand. This song creates ambiance and subsequently, emotion.
2. “Berlin” by RY X (alternative) If you appreciate a great male vocal, try this. It’s a short, primarily instrumental song, but it has some really magical vocal moments.
3. “A Love Like War” by All Time Low f. Vic Fuentes (alternative)
4. “Trouble” by Natalia Kills (pop) – Natalia Kills returns to the Radio Bobby Top 5 nearly two months after her last appearance with “Trouble,” her new album’s title track. It’s catchy that’s for sure, but not quite on the same level as the previously No. 1 ranked “Saturday Night.”
5. “Blue Ridge Song” by Alan Jackson (country) – It’ll probably be a “classic” Alan Jackson song. This bluegrass driven track is the lead single from Jackson’s upcoming “The Bluegrass Album,” due out September 27.
I know I haven’t given you a MUSIC VIDEO of the WEEK recently either – so here’s Christina Aguilera’s new video for her latest single “Let There Be Love” from her 2012 album LOTUS (fun fact: “Let There Be Love” ranked No. 5 on my 2012 Top 50 Songs list).