Radio Bobby and I are baaaaaaaaack. Ok, so I took an unannounced hiatus from the site. I was going to give you all a Radio Bobby two weeks ago, but I couldn’t find 5 new songs I liked. Then last week I thought, “Ok, great – I can do a Radio Bobby…” but again, I couldn’t find five new songs I liked. That said, this week has delivered – so here it is, your newest RADIO BOBBY!
1. “Drink of You” by Jamar Rogers (pop) – Since his days as a contestant on The Voice, I’ve been a fan of Jamar Rogers. So it really is a no-brainer that I’d love and select his new single as this week’s number one song. “Drink of You” shows off Rogers’ voice and soul. It’s saucy and rough – “I’m walking in the desert just for a drink of you.” Too bad this didn’t drop at the beginning of summer – this would have been a perfect song for hot summer night.
2. “Make You Feel My Love” by Lea Michele (Glee Cast) (pop) – Lea Michele’s voice is one of the most beautiful in the world. “Make You Feel My Love” fits her voice like a glove. Compound that with this being the tribute song for the late Cory Monteith and you have one of the week’s best songs. For those unfamiliar, Monteith played Finn Hudson on the popular FOX musical – long-time boyfriend of Rachel Berry (Michele). The duo was romantically involved beyond the show as well, something you get from the raw, yet powerful and moving vocal on display from Lea Michele.
3. “Far Too Young to Die” by Panic! At The Disco (alternative rock) – Lead singer Brendon Urie’s voice and song arrangement anchor this solidly to this week’s list. This up-tempo, trance-inducing, techno-rock-pop song is easy listening and addictive. I promise you’ll be thanking me tomorrow. Also, while you’re at this – check out the entire new album, “Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!”
4. “Gone” by Allison Iraheta and Halo Circus (pop) – She’s come a long way since her days on American Idol. The former contestant has a new-found maturity and frailty to her voice. A strong effort to say the least, “Gone” should quickly and easily become a top-seller for Iraheta.
5. “You Can’t Make Old Friends” by Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton (country) – Two country icons come together to put out a contemporary, yet classic-sounding single. If there’s one thing you get from this song, it’s a sense of nostalgia. This is how duets and raw, talented voices work – a sure-fire country classic.
Honorable Mention: “4×4” (feat. Nelly) and “FU” (feat. French Montana) by Miley Cyrus from her new album “Bangerz”
MUSIC VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
This one goes to Panic! At The Disco for their homage to D’Angelo’s “Untitled (How Does It Feel?)” video. Brendon Urie capitalizes on the nudity rage and does it in a way that is sure to appease some fans, while leaving the others salivating or yearning for more (which should sell some concert tickets).